Tuesday, July 8, 2008

National League Rankings

Sorry for not posting a contender/pretender post, I started to write it but I realized that nearly every team is a contender because it’s the NL, and it shouldn’t be too difficult to win the East or West. However, I’ve come up with a list ranking NL teams by their chances of reaching the World Series at this point. This is after the C.C. Sabathia trade.

1. Chicago Cubs (53-36)
2. Philadelphia Phillies (48-42)
3. Milwaukee Brewers (49-40)
4. Arizona Diamondbacks (44-45)
5. St. Louis Cardinals (50-40)
6. New York Mets (45-44)
7. Florida Marlins (46-43)
8. L.A. Dodgers (44-45)

I wouldn’t even count out the Rockies at this point. They are just 6.5 games out of a terrible NL West, and they are starting to show flashes of success. The Cardinals are so low on the list because they are in the Central, and I see the Brewers passing them.

If anyone still doubts Alfonso Soriano’s impact on the cubs, take a look at this: The Cubs are 32-17 with him, and 21-19 without.

The Bulls are one of the most interesting teams to follow this offseason in the NBA, because both Luol Deng and Ben Gordon are restricted free agents. John Paxson would love to keep Deng, apparently the Bulls still think he has all-star potential. They would love to trade Ben Gordon, however his value around the league is much less than Deng’s. Clearly, the Hinrich-Gordon-Deng combination will have to be broken up in some way, and I’d be surprised to see Deng and Gordon both on the team. I’m not sure how many low-post guys there are available, and I’m not sure I’d like to see the rumored Hinrich-Al Harrington trade to Golden State.

1 comment:

Jeff S. said...

I think the Cubs vastly improved record with Soriano might be largely due to the fact that over half of the games he played in came against the Pirates, Padres, Rockies, and Nationals. Only 10 games were played against currently above .500 teams and the Cubs went 3-7.