Sunday, July 6, 2008

Discarded Thoughts

I recently returned home from Indiana so I now have to unload all the thoughts I had over the past 4 days.

Gary, Indiana may be the most depressing place on earth. On the way from the highway to the beach in Gary, I counted 4 strip clubs, 2 fireworks stands, and a hot dog joint. I was however surprised by how many people there had multiple teeth.

The Bulls should trade Luol Deng. I used to like him a lot more than Ben Gordon, but in an up-tempo offense where does he fit? Gordon will benefit from a lot more open looks when defenses have to collapse on Rose, but I don't think Deng will because he doesn't have the range. He doesn't run the floor well and his defense is average. Sorry Luol but I just don't see how you fit in with this team. I was considering a swap for Josh Smith (an RFA who can run, block shots, rebound, and aboslutely bring the room down) but he doesn't shoot that well and that would leave us with only Gordon to keep opponents honest on the perimeter. Maybe Jason Richardson? There has to be a SF who can shoot and run who is available.

Jason Varitek should remove himself from the all-star game. He is in fact the worst starting catcher in baseball. His OBP is about the same as AJ Pierzynski's batting average. There are guys who don't deserve to be starting (cough Alfonso Soriano cough cough) but no one else I saw who absolutely has no business being in the game.

John Danks and Jermaine Dye got screwed, bad time to have the initials JD. You can make it right by voting for Dye in the online vote though.

Federer vs. Nadal was a fantastic tennis match. That's coming from a guy who has never watched 5 consecutive minutes of tennis.

Rafa Nadal looks disturbingly similar to Dramatic Chipmunk.
Check it out yourself: http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1764124

There were some unbelievable baseball games played this weekend. Great time to be a fan.

The Breweres acquistiton of CC Sabathia should knock the Cards out of the playoffs. He's a very good pitcher and I'm glad he's out of the AL Central.

I watched the Olympic trials this weekend and I thought of a few ways to spice the track events up.
1. In the 3000 m steeple chase they have one hurdle which is followed by a small pool of water. They should put a crocodile in the water. It would add an element of strategy to the race. Do you go first and try and beat the crocodile and take a big lead? Or do you wait and see if the croc takes out one of your competitors? Would the runners team up, beat the croc to death, then run a normal race? These are the questions.
2. Add swinging boulders to the speed walking race, like in MXC.
3. There should be an obstacle course event.
4. Michael Phelps's new nickname is "The Torso".

I'm going to bed now, good night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with Nadal v Federer, that may have been the greatest sporting event this year and thats saying alot (Superbowl, US Open, etc.) I personally hyped it up alot but it exceeded the hype.