Monday, August 11, 2008

Gold Medal Column

This remains a somewhat difficult time to write about sports, evidenced by all the coverage given to NBA 12th men jumping to Europe and the media created threat surrounding it. I like that Cavs owner Dan Gilbert recently called major sports writers out on it. Here's another random thoughts column.

Has anyone else notice that the early olympic events are all games dominated by the Chinese? I don't know if they choose the schedule, I assume they do, and it looks like they're trying to make themselves look better. Has there been a single track and field event? What the hell is men's 10 meter air pistol? It freaked me out to see the Chinese leading the medal count, but when it turns out they're winning all of it in judo, lightweight division weightlifting, and shooting, I understand. Americans don't particularly care about those sports. We'll take the lead as soon as the sports start involving a ball. I also think it's funny that Americans are stereotyped as fat and lazy even though we're the most athletic country in the world.

If Michael Phelps wins 8 gold medals, he should be allowed to tea bag all those who fell to his might. That's how it works on Xbox Live. You get wrecked, you get bagged.

The Yankee beast is finally dead. It has to be. They have to make up more than a game a week to get the division, and are 4 back of their biggest rival for the wild card, and are injured all over. I honestly feel better knowing they aren't in the playoffs. My only regret is that the streak ended the year after Papa George stepped down. His tirade could have been the stuff of legend.

Hawk Harrelson recently said that 3 most dangerous teams are the Angels, Cubs, and White Sox. Having seen some of all 3, as well as the Red Sox and Rays, I agree with that assessment. All 3 have lineups that can bomb and 3 pitchers that can be downright dominant. I wouldn't want to play the Brewers in a 5 game set, but they aren't as well off for a 7 game as the others because they play awful defense and have no bullpen.

The D'Backs picked up Adam Dunn today for prospects. I don't know how much he'll help over there, seeing as he doesn't hit for average and no one in front of him can get on base. Like an anti-social drinker, most of his shots will be solo.

http://www.faniq.com/blog/Video-Michael-Phelps-Jason-Lezak-And-USA-4x100-Freestyle-Relay-Team-Beat-France-To-Win-Gold-Blog-10943. I haven't figured out how to hyperlink on this, but it's the Americans coming back to beat the the trash talking French. Why were the French talking trash? The last 2 times they talked trash, Germany ended up running the country for a little while. I think we should let Germany run France for a little while until they remember where they belong. Go away French people, I don't like you.

You may be wondering why I dislike the French. I suggest you read the book "50 Reasons To Hate The French" or watch Thomas L. Friedman's "Does Europe Hate Us?". Both are excellent examples of why we should train polar bears and other endangered wild animals to attack France and make it their new home.

I was disappointed by the coverage of the Beijing stabbings. Seemed sensationalist and I felt it lacked respect for the victims.

Michael Phelps just set another world record and won another gold medal. The man is a freak.

Did South Park and Family Guy become significantly more juvenile over the last 2 years or did I mature? I did not mature so it must be the former. I made up a fun game called "See How Much Time Family Guy Wastes In An Episode With Unfunny Running Jokes Because They Can No Longer Come Up With Original Ideas." I'm working on a better title, but it averages around 5 minutes per show.

27 Hours until Madden. I think I'll write a review article on that. Let's hope they fixed the "F*** YOU!!" play that the computer likes to screw you with in the fourth quarter. You know the play. The one where your about to take control of the game and you fumble, or the computer breaks 5 tackles for a score. I broke many an electronic device on the "F*** YOU!!" play.

May Snow Wolf bless you with a pleasant night.

No comments: