Friday, September 26, 2008

Upset City

Down go the Trojans! Down go the Trojans! Never underestimate the letdown game. After beating down Ohio State, USC stumbled against a different OSU, the Beavers from Corvallis. This is why Pete Carroll is not a great coach, he is quickly becoming Lloyd Carr where every year you can guarantee a loss to a beatable team. Carroll is too nice, you need a son of a bitch who will tear his team a new ass early when they start playing the letdown game.

The Rays clinched today. I don't like them in the playoffs though. Boston or Anaheim is coming out of the AL.

I would like to see the White Sox make the playoffs, but their scouting department blew it in the Twins series. Here's the scene: Up 6-4 in the bottom of the 8th of the final game of the series. A win pretty much seals the post season. The Twins proceed to hit 2 crap doubles down the line and a triple. My question is, how in the fucking world are you not guarding the lines? Denard Span and Carlos Gomez aren't doubling to the gaps, they're hitting the ball down the line and taking second on pure speed. You have to account for that. Thumbs down right there. My other big thumbs down comes courtesy of Hawk Harrelson. Hawk correctly pointed out that whenever a Twins pitcher gets behind 2-0, they throw a "get me over" breaking ball. And the Sox players took every single one of these. If you know what's coming like that, you have to swing and you have to get a hit. Hell, stick a damn TV in the dugout, turn on the game and listen to what the damn announcers are saying because they know what's going on.

Has anyone aged worse than John Elway? Saw a picture of him today and I bet he greatly resembles the current state of Barbaro's corpse. Yeesh.

The Mariners could hire Kim Ng MLB's first female GM. I'm positively tingling over the possible sexual jokes. "Kim Ng resigns Ichiro for his bat." "Ng raves about Putz's heat." "Kim Ng acquires Johnson in 3-way." Oh yes, it will be a good day.

Looks like OJ is going to jail this time. If this trial doesn't prove he was crazy and murdered his wife, I don't know what will.

I can't see a real upset this week in college football, but watch Mississippi State-LSU. MSU gave Auburn a hell of a game, they lost 3-2, and LSU is coming off a big win. Fear the letdown game. FEAR IT!

You should also watch Alabama-Georgia. I predict a Georgia victory. Alabama is a really young team and they haven't proved to me that they are an elite team yet. Georgia was the second best team in the country last year (they lost out on the national championship due to a horrendous slip up against Troy) and they look like the team to beat right now.

What should I do about the Bears? On one hand, their an incompetent jackass of an official away from being 2-1 and tied on top of the division. They can easily make the playoffs and their defense is great. On the other hand, they have no chance of winning a Super Bowl and going to the playoffs will only make them worse next year. Jerry Angelo is a terrible GM and very few people have called him on this. He drafted Garrett Wolfe and Dan Bazuin in consecutive rounds on the first day for goodness sake. Both of those guys would have been there in rounds 5, 6, or 7. There is hope though for the offense as both Jeremy Maclin and Michael Crabtree should declare for the draft and then we can pick up a legitimate wideout. It's also a strong class for the O-Line but the quarterbacks suck out loud.

The government is voting on a bill to grant a posthumous pardon to boxer Jack Johnson. The man has been dead 60 years, I would worry about that 700 billion dollar bailout first.

If Ben could write an article that would be cool. Otherwise he shall no longer be listed as a contributor to a site that a maximum of 3 people read. I'm playing hardball now.

Speaking of harball, where is Keanu Reeves? I expect something crazy out of him in the next few years. Perhaps a drug trip gone horrendously awry.

I will thank Bill Simmons to stop making inane rules. That is my territory. This week's rule is that no man over the age of 10 is allowed to put ketchup on a hot dog. Anybody caught doing so shall be forced to perform a dancing rendition of "I'm a little teapot" like the child he is.

2 comments:

Maseeh M said...

J Maclin is only a sophomore, he cant declare until the 2010 draft

Otherwise good stuff as usual, I always keep up with this site

Mas

Jeff S. said...

As a red shirt sophomore, Maclin can declare because he is 3 years out of high school.

I wanted to put the Michigan upset on the site so very badly, I told my friend Jake that it was coming, but every time I mention their upcoming game it seems they lose. So I won't be mentioning their upcoming games any more.